Brian - Cincinnati, Ohio

Environmentalism

What could be me more important than the earth on which we live? To me, there is nothing more important. I’m not above the environment; I am part of it. Everything I do in life has an effect, so I choose these actions carefully.

Many of my beliefs on this stem from my parents. They have always been there to teach me about recycling, composting, and just respecting the environment in general. They’ve also taken me to many places of natural beauty which has given me a true love for nature’s wonders. I want to preserve these wonders so future generations and I can observe them as they were meant to be.

Also, I did a research project on deforestation last year. In my research I found devastating statistics on the rate of destruction. I hope I can do something to save the rainforests before they are gone. If they are eventually wiped out, I think we’ll all suffer the consequences. I believe that if man tries to destroy the environment, the environment will destroy man. I don’t underestimate this planet one bit; I very much respect the place which has given me life.

Every day I do things that affect the earth. From reusing my brown paper bags to actually putting things in the trash can, the environment is always in the back of my mind. I believe that every little thing helps, and every little thing I do makes me feel a little better about my relationship the world. I strive to be friendlier to the environment and get others to do so.

For me, the environment puts everything in perspective. It’s my habitat; my home. It’s also the biggest, most amazing thing in the world to me. Every tree and stream has its own significant place in the world. My goal in life is to help preserve the globe, and all the life, beauty, and happiness there is to be found in it. I am able to live, love, and learn on earth so it is my duty to improve it before I go. This I believe.