Charlotte - Cincinnati, Ohio

Fighting Fear

Fear should never stop you from taking chances. I’m only 15, so I know nothing about true fear, right? Wrong, I have faced many fears. If you let fear control your life, you are left with no real accomplishments. Sure, fear can easily stop you in your tracks, but if you stick it out, the end result is often worth the risk.

When I was about 10, I went to a New York Liberty game at Madison Square Garden with my sisters, parents, and grandmother. Out of nowhere, a man appeared and asked my age. My dad answered the question because I was nervous about talking to a stranger. He was looking for a 10 year old to participate in the half time show of the basketball game. My dad asked me and I agreed, before I had time to be scared or nervous. I was too excited. Through the first half of the game, I could only think of the show.

A few minutes before half time, the man returned to take my dad and me down to the court. I was blindfolded and a lady brought me to the middle of the court. I was supposed to use hints from the crowd to find a big inflated animal that was in one of the corners of the court. The crowd’s cheers made me feel like a celebrity. I found the animal, and I was taken off of the court. It was only on the court about 2 minutes, but it was one of the most exciting times of my life.

They gave me a bag of New York Liberty goodies as a prize but that wasn’t the only prize that I got. My dad told me that 20,000 people were watching me, including the President and Hillary Clinton. As hard as it is to believe, this still wasn’t the high point for me. When I returned to my grandma’s house that night, I found out that my sisters, who were older and who always seemed much braver, were amazed at my courage and had said that they would be too scared to do anything like that. My mother and grandmother agreed that they themselves would never have agreed to do it. This gave me one of the most rewarding feelings of my life. They were actually impressed by my bravery.

Looking back, this event changed my life. My sisters probably don’t remember this event, but I will always, because it was one of the best feelings of my life. I now believe that opportunities are presented only to be seized. Now, nothing is too scary to be worth it. Since this game, I have had the courage to do many things I would never have considered before.