Arielle - Cincinnati, Ohio

I Believe Americans Have the Ability to Support Each Other

When I look at America today I see many people who do whatever is within their power to help others. They give of their time, hearts, and possessions to assist each other. America has the power to bring hope to the world and we demonstrate this through what we do at home in our own everyday lives. Every American gives whatever they can, to support the other members of the country.

I have experienced what this country can do when it pulls together. Last year my school donated many goods to the hurricane Katrina victims. We packed up into trucks hundreds of goods in trucks to send down to them. We donated toys, baby goods, clothes, canned food, dog food, and water, ect. We spent time in the truck packing up goods to give to the needy. Then, some of our teachers and students packed up and went down to New Orleans to distribute goods and help out.

Another example is this drive we do at my church. Every year we pull together goods, which go to the children in orphanages and kids with parents in jail. We take a little piece of paper off a tree telling us the name and wish of a child. They spend a small amount of money on whatever the child asked for.

I myself have volunteered in an all boys orphanage a year ago. These kids had no one they could depend on and yet they seemed really happy. They all had their own friends within the orphanage. They loved playing with the teens I was with and the other volunteers. They had created their own home within a family of helpers. They had created a family in a group that wasn’t directly related to them. I have great respect for the workers that were back in that orphanage.

These are just a few examples of what people in America pull together to do. They give up what they can to support those around them. They put their hearts into what they do and support each other. America is capable of great feats when they pull together and support those around them. I believe America is an amazing place. I believe Americans are amazing people. I believe Americans support each other with all their hearts.