Kailee - Tampa, Florida

Happy to Stay in Never Neverland

In these times, kids are being forced to grow up too fast. Six-year olds dress like they are sixteen, ten year olds have cell phones, and starting around the age of five kids are getting laptops. I believe in cherishing your childhood because, after all, it only happens for eighteen years out of about one hundred.

I hold on tightly to my childhood. I still watch the Disney channel. I still go trick-or-treating. I still have stuffed animals. While all of those things may seem “childish” to some, I don’t feel the need to grow up just yet; I have the rest of my life to do that. I take life day by day; I’m in no hurry. I know I’m not ready for all of the responsibility that comes with becoming an adult.

I have a cousin who is only nine months older than me. She always seemed to be so much older, even though she wasn’t. She seemed to know more about being grown up than I ever did, even when we were little. I felt older when I was around her; I always tried to sound cool because I wanted to impress her. I got a call from my father the other day. He told me that my cousin had had a baby. She had been pregnant while she was in rehab for drug use. I began to think that maybe it was a good thing that I hadn’t grown up so fast. My cousin did grow up too fast. Now she’s a single mother at age seventeen. She has the huge responsibility of raising a child by herself and providing for him. I’m not ready for that. She may not know it, but she isn’t either.

I’ve decided that I’m going to act my age. There are so many things you are able to do when you’re an adult, but I think I’ll wait until I’m old enough. After all, if you do everything when you’re young, what is there to do later in life? I’ll grow up when I need to. Until then, I’m going to believe in Neverland