Carolina - Sacramento, California

This I believe: Don’t take anything for granted

I believe in family, friends, and love. Family isn’t only someone who shares the same last name as you; family is the people you surround yourself with, because you want to. Not only do I believe in love but I also believe you should always tell the people around you how much you love them, and care for them as a friend, or family member. You never know when something tragic is going to happen, and you might not get to say goodbye.

One thing people forget to do often is to tell people how much they mean to you, and most only realize this when that person is gone. I have sadly had to come to this realization in the worst possible way. I lost a very close friend to me in a motorcycle accident on October 11; he was a caring person that would put other’s feelings and desires before his own. He loved to please others, and his friends did the same for him. Over the past few weeks, I had sort of lost touch with him and instead of talking to him everyday, I maybe talked to him once or twice a week. And now when I look back on the past couple weeks, I could have told him so much more than I did. I should have told him how amazing he was, and how much I love him.

This is a prime example of why it is important to express your love for everyone, even if it seems silly or out of place at the time. In a situation like mine, it would have been easier for me, knowing I said goodbye. Friends are amazing to be around when tragedies happen, such as the loss of a loved one. Even if they are there in complete silence, or just to be your shoulder to cry on; every little bit counts.

On the Friday night after the crash there was a candle light vigil, and it was so amazing to see everyone come out to Doug’s mom house. Everyone stood in a circle and told stories about funny things Doug did, or just memories we had of him. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and I think that maybe Doug was taken from us so young, is because it has brought many of his friends from different social groups together. If Doug was still around he would be so excited to see all of his closest friends getting along, laughing and reminiscing with each other.

If you ever get in a fight with someone, don’t be the stubborn one and never talk to them again, you need to work things out, because at some point in your life you might need them for moral support. This is why I believe in family and love, they are the most important thing you can have in life.