Kurtis - Cincinnati, Ohio

This I Believe… Honesty at all Cost

I would say that there are very many great life long lessons. There are so many, but there is one that I was taught in which is the greatest and that is honesty. My dad always taught two main things, they involved religion and honesty. Honesty does not does fall under my religion; however it is still a huge necessity. If you do not have honesty then you will not have anything that is great in this world.

The basis of me learning honesty is from my father. I talked to him, to find out where it was in which he learned honesty himself. He replied with, “Well, I was scared of my father’s belt, so that helped me learn it fairly quickly.” He had been joking, but also a little seriousness was involved in that statement. He said that what really helped him learn it were his parents and his religion. As you can tell religion and honesty are two very important parts in my family. The dictionary says that honesty is about being truthful and well my actual definition of honesty is telling the truth. I believe that honesty is a life long lesson for great morals. It is not something you achieve over night, but something you learn each day for the rest of your life. I know it sounds cheesy and cleshay, but sometimes telling the truth can hurt. My father and I tried to think of an event when I told the truth because it was right, and I was punished for it. We failed to find such an event, but know that there have been occurrences in which it happened.

My grandparents live up in Buffalo, New York. I remember this, and I do not know why, but my brother, cousin, and I would play a game. We had called our game, ‘Tiger.” I would end up doing something wrong, such as saying a dirty word and they would threaten me on telling. Knowing the genius I was my comeback would be, “No your not, because I am going to tell on myself.” After I had said that I would rush up stairs and tell my father what it was that I had done.

I can recall the first time my father taught me honesty. I had been in a grocery store called Bigg’s. Being that I was little I saw that candy that would be open and not sealed up, the kind where you put it in the bag and paid for the weight of the candy. Well, being the little kid I am I saw candy and took my little hand and placed one of those gumballs or whatever in my mouth. After my father checked out he noticed in the parking lot that my cheeks were puffed up like a chipmunks. He asked me what it was I had in my mouth. He saw that it was a gumball and asked if I had taken it form the store. I lied to him and said no. He knew I had been lying, so to teach me a lesson he took me back into the store and had me apologize to the manger. She felt so sorry for me, but hey I learned my lesson.

My last story of honesty, I will make it short and sweet. I had been dropped off at my dads from my mom after school. I do not know why, but I went past my fathers Chevy Avalanche truck. I stop to look at the pin stripping up close. I took my finger and touched it, it also had been snowing which made the truck cold and slippery. Anyways, I felt the smooth looking painted on pin stripping and my finger slip and my nail caught on and took some paint off. I had been so scared of think of my father’s reaction, but I faced my fears and told him. Yes, he was very angry, but he was just as proud of me for telling the truth to him.

I do not know if I got through to anyone by writing this paper. I do know that writing this helped me because it was great for my father and I to bond a little bit. It was fun for him and me to talk about old childhood stories. So I would like to thank my teacher and the National Public Radio service, for having this because it helped me bond with my father. I wish to everyone that they keep in mind that their parents did go through everything we did, so they might know what they are talking about when they give us advice. I am not trying to preach or anything, but hey think about it. All I am saying is listening to my father about honesty was the greatest thing and that is what I believe.