Gibson - Longbranch, Washington

I believe that music is a collective soul filling the skin and bloodstream of every living, breathing, human being. I believe that without music, our every day would be dull and lifeless. I believe that we were given the right to create, listen, and live music by every man who has fought for the United States of America.

Music is the air that we breathe whether we know it or not. Every time a G Major chord is strummed on a guitar. Every time a tune by Ray Charles is played by a high school jazz band. Every time a bird sings. Every time a child bangs on pots and pans. Every time Coldplay makes thousands of fans scream. Every time I turn on my MP3 player. Every time a note is sung, or a chord strummed, or a tune whistled. Every time you absent mindedly hum that new song from the radio. Music is everywhere, in every thread of life that encompasses our world.

The ideals and rights of citizens of the United States of America are contained in one song. It is quite possible that The Star-Spangled Banner is played every single day of the year. The contained ideals and rights are not just in the musical melody and notes but also in the history of the song itself. The Star-Spangled Banner was written at a time when rights were needed most.

During Woodstock of 1968 Jimi Hendrix played a guitar solo that went down in history as the “greatest” guitar solo of all time. Hendrix played the National Anthem with his own feelings. His blood and sweat and tears. He put his heart and soul into the solo. Many consider it the worst solo of all time as well. At the time it was not noteworthy to modify the National Anthem. In fact it was heinous. Hendrix passed this barrier and brought America to a new standard.

Two documents that allowed us the freedom of music were the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence. These two amazing documents give us the right to write, sing, perform, dance to, and imagine any music that we want. Without these documents Jimi Hendrix wouldn’t have been able to play his own rendition of the National Anthem. In fact, the National Anthem wouldn’t have even existed.

Music is anything and everything we are. And music helped to bring the United States to the state it is today.

This I believe.