Patrick - Gig Harbor, Washington

I have a friend. Let’s call him Darrel. I’ve known Darrel for many years, and have considered him to be a trustworthy friend to some extent. By no means is he one of my best pals, he is far too callous and cynical to be called such. I’m no saint, but this guy makes Bill O’ Reilly look as tactful as a prince.

Anyway, when I first met Darrel, I was twelve years old, and he was thirteen. For as long as I can remember, he’s had two priorities in life. One, to lose his virginity while finding supposedly true love, and two, to degrade every human he sees as below him, until he has enough self-esteem to get by another day. He’s succeeded in both these, but his life isn’t as grandeur as he had planned it out to be.

A year or so back, Darrel accomplished his first dream with a girl he had been seeing for a few months. He essentially pressured her into it, convincing her as well as himself that they were in love, forcing her to lie to him that she was still a virgin. They did the dirty deed, only to have the relationship collapse upon itself in a few weeks time. He is now alone, and since he possesses the verbal elegance of a raptor, has had severe trouble in finding another suitable mate who will feed his desire for lust as well as love.

Once upon a time, Darrel would make fun of graduates who didn’t immediately go to college, making sarcastic comments and belittling them behind their backs. He would shun any friend who participated in inhaling, injecting, or otherwise inducing any sort of drug into their body. Now, fresh out of high school, he’s living in his parents’ basement (the actual basement, nonetheless), taking unhealthy amounts of drugs which he has no prescription for, and is joining the Air Force in a few months. Darrel doesn’t have a job, and instead participates in drug tests (currently a drug that supposedly lowers cholesterol) to make money. He has no long-term goals, and is essentially without guidance or passion.

My friend has always been an indirect influence on me. Watching his actions, I witnessed first-hand exactly what I didn’t want to happen to me. I now refuse to demean anyone (unless they deserve it, in which case I’ll at least have the common courtesy to do it to their face), and I try my hardest to appreciate all facets of life, whether one decides to go to a four-year university or get a job at Hollywood Video for a couple decades. It is not my place to judge others’ decisions regarding how they live their lives.

This essay is not, however, about how I believe in respecting others’ values and decisions, this paper is meant to describe my belief that each and every person will “get theirs”, as per the laws of karma. In the end, no matter who you are, you will get what’s coming. This I believe.