Ashleigh - Cincinnati, Ohio

The number one belief that I’ve always stuck to is something good can be found in everyone. It doesn’t matter who they are, where they came from, or what mistakes they may have made in the past. Everyone deserves the chance to show their good side and not just be judged on what bad qualities people see in them. I’ve always been able to find the good in others, even those who don’t believe in their self.

My parents have always said that I try to be every ones savor and come to every ones rescue. It’s true. I guess I realized it a few years ago when a friend of mine was sent to jail. While others said he was a nobody and would never amount to anything, I knew that it wasn’t true. I will always believe and be able to find goodness in everyone. I just knew he had kindness and love deep down in his heart, but no one takes time to look at those sorts of things. Everyone deserves a chance to prove his or her inner goodness before being judged. The world is made of imperfect people who are going to make mistakes. It doesn’t mean everyone is a bad person, it’s just being human.

I, myself, am an example of a person I chose to find the good in, instead of the bad. I went through many hard times in my life. There was one period of time where I just felt useless. I wasn’t speaking to my parents, I was out doing things I knew I shouldn’t be doing, and I just gave up caring about myself. Then one day I looked at my life and said I have to change. I just have to or I’m going to really end up hurt. I sat down and said I know I’m a good person I just need to stop looking at all the negative things in my life, and look toward the positive. I told myself I still a young girl and I’m smart, all I have to do is apply myself and I can achieve anything I want. I did it. I turned my life around and I’m the happiest I’ve ever been. Thinking negatively all the time will really get you nowhere.

So the next your waking down the street and you see someone who you would usually avoid, go up and talk to him or her. You just might have something in common. You might even find a new friend even. The point is don’t judge. Look deep down into people and see what they are really all about. You just might like what you find.