Sarah - Elgin, Illinois

You’ll Move Mountains

Dr. Seuss. The man synonymous with books like Green Eggs and Ham and The Cat in the Hat. Like almost every other child, when I was little I too liked reading Dr. Seuss books with their fun rhymes and colorful pictures. Who knew though that, at age 17, I would still rely on Dr. Seuss for just as much advice as he gave me when I was 5 learning about blue fish?

“But what is money without friends? A dream had led her far astray. That was the price she had to pay.” When I reread Daisy-Head Mayzie the other day, this quote really stuck out to me. In short, the book is about a girl who one day sprouts a daisy from her head and must learn the different obstacles that occur with it. Honestly, the major thing I remembered from reading this book as a child was accepting other people and how Mayzie’s experience led her to understand life that was about more than appearances. However as I grow older and see the goals and dreams I want to achieve, this quote really drives home a point. No matter how hard you work for something, you should always be moral in how you act and never forget the people who helped get you there, who were by your side throughout the whole process. Years after my mom originally read Daisy-Head Mayzie to me, I am finally beginning to understand why it was one of her favorite books to read to me.

Another great Dr. Seuss book is The Sneetches. As funny as the title may seem, this book also has some amazing lessons in it. The Sneetches is about two different ‘races’ accepting each other- the Star-Belly Sneetches are the so-called “higher class” and the Plain-Belly Sneetches are the “average joes.” One day a man same Sylvester McMonkey McBean comes into town and offers to change the Plain-Belly Sneetches into Star-Belly Sneetches in a machine and they gladly accept. However, then McBean offers to change the Star-Belly Sneetches to Plain-Belly Sneetches so they can differentiate themselves from the fake Star-Belly Sneetches and McBean toys with both the Star-Belly and Plain-Belly Sneetches until they get all mixed up and can’t tell who’s who. Musingly McBean finishes and leaves, saying “They never will learn. No. You can’t teach a Sneetch!”

However the story goes on and ends with the Sneetches seeing the craziness in their views and all becoming friends and luckily McBean is wrong about his assumption. This book made a huge impression on me to accept others for who they are- not what they look like or what family they’re from. And all from a children’s book.

In Oh, The Places You’ll Go! Dr. Seuss stresses making good decisions and not worrying about what lies ahead, but focusing on being the best you can be. Especially right now in the process of searching for and applying to colleges, this message was really helpful to me. The passage “But on you will go/ Though the weather be foul. On you will go/ Though your enemies prowl…Though your arms may get sore/ and your sneakers may leak” meant a lot to me. Sometimes between classes and sports it seems like everything is going bad, but I have realized that if you don’t focus too much on the bad things, then they will resolve themselves a lot faster and easier than if you worry about them. You just have to keep on going and focus on the future instead of the past.

The ideas that Dr. Seuss implies in his books are encouraging and strong. No matter what happens, life must go on and you have to live with your decisions. And if you stick to your path, “Will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent garunteed.)”