Hope - Bemidji, Minnesota

Lessons that are easily learned

I was five years old and it was my first year starting school and everything about school made me excited. I wuold walk to the bus stop and wait for the bus, and at the end of the day I would get off at the same spot and walk home which was only a block or two away. I never thought anything bad could happen to me being that close to home.

I remember it was a windy, grey day and it was about to start snowing. I didn’t have my sister that day to walk home with me but that was ok I was use to walking this walk everyday. I would do the usual thing, cross the street and as soon as I crossed the street I was almost able to see my home. I got across the street and a man had stopped in his car that I had never met before in my life, he had started to talk to me which to me I thought was really weird but, I knew not to talk to strangers so I kept walking. This man had started to offer me some money and asked me to come in his car and he was going to take me home. This was an older man with grey white hair, I didn’t know anyone who had looked like him. When he asked me to get in his car I shook my head and said”NO”, and ran as fast as I could to my house. This day changed my life for a very long time, I never wanted to walk anywhere by myself again. Thank god we had a police officer that lived next door to us that always made me feel safe. The bad thing about all of this is they never caught the guy who tried to take me. I am so thankful that my parents had taught me to not talk to strangers and to run if someone tried to take me.

I use to think back in those day that, that would never happen to me, and I know a lot of people think that and don’t teach there kids to do what I did. People seem to think that nothing bad like that is going to happen in there town, but in reality things like this happen all the time everywhere and a lot of kids don’t get to run and get help. I believe that if more children know what to do in these situations maybe there won’t be as many children taken and there would be more bad people locked up.