Katlynn - Cincinnati, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem

This I Believe…

I have many fundamental beliefs that drive my life. The main belief is to live everyday as if it were your last. Don’t be afraid to do something you want to do because no one knows if you are going to wake up in the morning. I realized this principle was important to me when my eleven year old brother was rushed to the hospital during school one day.

I was coming home from school and I thought it would be a routine day. Needless to say, it would change my life forever. My grandma was over my house and that is very abnormal. As I walked into the house, I knew right away that something was wrong. My grandma was sitting on the couch and I could see the hurt in her eyes as she explained to me what had happened to my younger sibling.

She started off by saying that everything would be okay and right away I know it was serious. My brother has been pushed into a basketball pole at recess at school. He hit his head and suffered a major concussion. His brain was bleeding and swollen. When the ambulance came and rushed him to Children’s Hospital, he was unresponsive…

When we arrived at the hospital, I walked into his room and I saw something I would never forget. It was terrible. My little brother- lying there unresponsive, needles in his arms, and the look of fear across his face. I right away started crying, so hard I had to be escorted out of the room. My brother- the brother that I called annoying the day before, the one who would poke my back knowing I thought it was annoying, and the one who I stood up for when he was being bullied- was scared to death and there was nothing I could do to help him.

As I was sitting in the hospital hallway, a million thoughts was rushing through my head- “What if he doesn’t make it? What will I do without him?” It made me realize that if I die tomorrow, there would be so many things I would never get to do. This is the same with my brother. If he had died, which was very possible, he wouldn’t have been able to do a lot of the things we wanted to do- like walk my mom down the isle at her wedding, learn to ride a skate board, and beat me in play station.

He is recovering now. He is very much into trying new things, even though our family is very overprotective! This whole experience though has taught me that life comes at you very fast and things can happen like that. Try new things every day and remember, life is not always granted to you so live your life to the fullest. Live everyday as if it would be your last.