Timothy - Cincinnati, Ohio
Themes: integrity

Just Be Yourself

I believe that people should be who they really are. Sometimes I think that people put on an act. They think they have to like certain things and be like certain people. Now that I am in high school I see how some people try so hard to be someone who they aren’t, trying to be liked by all. Not only the fact of being yourself, but having more good and true friends that like you for you.

You have to like what you like, and don’t just agree with what you think everyone else likes. If you don’t like a certain thing, just be honest and say you don’t. Don’t try and act like you like something that you don’t. If you be yourself and tell the truth you could find out that you have a lot of things in common with someone else and end up becoming really good friends. People shouldn’t feel the need to fake things and make up lies to fit in. They need to be themselves and like what they like and do what they want to do.

I know personally I can tell when people are putting on an act and not being themselves. I know a couple of people who put on this act everyday. When people do this, I just think to myself, why are they doing this? I thought about a boy I know that was putting on the act. He was just doing and saying all these things and I knew he was making it up. It was obvious that he was one of those people who acted like someone they weren’t. He was one of those putting on a costume every day. He made me realize, after seeing all the acts he was putting on, that you just need to be yourself. These events are those that shape my beliefs and life today. If you’re not being yourself it’s like having Halloween everyday or the year. You’re always acting like someone that you’re not and you’re always dressing up your personality, likes, and dislikes.

You might not be liked by all, but I don’t know one person who everyone likes. You’re always going to have those who don’t like you. It doesn’t matter either way; you just have to be yourself. If you act like you, like what you like, then you’ll feel good about yourself. If you be yourself, then you’ll know for a fact that your friends, along with others, will like you for you, and not for that person you dress up as everyday. People are going to eventually find out that you aren’t being yourself. In most cases there is more happiness being who you are and being like by few than dressing up in that costume and being someone you’re not. Just be yourself.