Kristin - beavercreek, Ohio

Different Nationality’s

I believe that if you have a different nationality that American, you should be considered equal in society. I mean there are a few exceptions but for the most part you should not be mistreated just because you are Italian or German. My mother happens to be German and my father is an American. This happens to make me one half German and one half American. I am very proud of my nationality and I do not think I should be treated differently because of it.

As I was growing up, I remember wishing that I could get rid of my German heritage. I remember asking my mom who Hitler was when I was a little child. When she told me who he was, I was horrified. I could not see how one man could be so corrupt and ruin a whole country. I was so ashamed because of what happened to Germany during Hitler’s time. Over time, I learned that one whole country can’t be blamed for one mans mistake. In third grade, there was this one kid who would call me a Nazi. I would come home crying because I was so upset. Eventually, I learned to ignore him. Since he stopped getting reactions from me, he stopped doing it all together. When I got in arguments with some kids, they would always bring that up. It bothered and upset me so much. I don not go around making fun of other people’s nationality, so why should they do it to me or anybody else?

Every nationality is different and interesting. I feel honored to have friends from different countries and different background and they should not be discriminated against because of this. You cannot blame one person for the leader of that specific country’s mistake. For example, it is not fair to blame me for Hitler’s mistake. As I said earlier, I am proud to be half German and half American. I would not change it for the world. If you have a different nationality than American, you should be treated equal in society. This, I believe.