Roy - Hayward, California
Themes: equality, illness

I have multiple illnesses. I have been diabetic for over 30 years, resulting in a variety of problems, the worst of which is failed kidneys. I recently underwent a triple cardiac bypass operation, at which time a rare form of cancer was discovered as well. So there’s a course of radiation in my future as well.

Friends and collegues tell me that they feel sorry for me, but I feel incredibly fortunate. I’ve got excellent medical professionals working with me and a health plan that covers most, if not all, of my treatments. Were it not for this, I’d certainly not be alive right now. That I’ve got this coverage is a matter of both good choices and luck.

And I believe strongly that every American should have the same coverage, the same medical opportunities that I’ve got. It should not be a matter of luck or the ability to make informed choices–we, as a society, need to demonstate our commitment to each individual by providing everyone with this most basic of needs.

President John Kennedy told us to “ask what we can do for our country.” By providing basic medical care for all citizens, we enable everyone to take that challenge.