CJ - Rochester, New York
Themes: carpe diem

Carpe Diem, this saying means a lot to me. I’m a firm believer that if you pass something up, you’ve passed up an opportunity. Don’t be afraid to try new things. What doesn’t kill you at least will make a good story.

Everyone has a past. That’s a fact. People have done things they regret. But when people get stuck in the past, what good comes of it? I once wrote in my journal, ‘Wallowing in the past is like killing your future.’ But I recently realized how true it is. The past is done. But you can learn from it, and from others, and prevent yourself from doing something you’ll regret. But along with learning for the future, comes planning for it. I don’t think that planning your future out is best. Life is spontaneous. What do you do when something doesn’t happen? That’s the problem about the future, it may never come. You are alive here and now. The past is done, the future might not, so all that leaves is today. Carpe Diem.

The problem with today’s world is the fact that everyone is angry. Senseless anger plagues people’s minds. Just like everyone else, people have wronged me. But I’ve learned forgiveness is key. If you can’t forgive someone who is asking for your forgiveness, then you’re no better than they were. “Unforgiveness is a poison that you take and hope the other person dies from.” I heard that, and the words stuck with me. Think about it, and you’ll realize it’s true. When someone is asking for forgiveness, it’s your choice. There is no point in turning someone down. People need friends not enemies.

Though I’m young, I’ve realized that life is short. Everyone’s days are numbered, and no one can be sure how big that number is. Live each day like it’s your last, because what if it really was? Have you ever walked down the street, and have a random person smile at you? Not a fake smile, but an honest smile? Remember the feeling you get after that? It’s wonderful how much power it has. There’s nothing keeping any of us from being that person, whose smile can make a day great. Everything you do has an impact on everyone you meet. Why should it be a bad one? There is a word that I firmly believe in. Karma. What goes around comes around. That is Karma. If you go through life spreading your happiness, something good must come of it. Life should be full of happiness. It’s a gift. Once you realize how much of a gift it is, why not spread the joy to those who need it most? You shouldn’t keep it to yourself, spread it far and wide.

The way I see it, today IS the day. Now’s the time. Don’t let anything get past you. Opportunities lead to experiences. Experiences make life great. Next time you have an opportunity, think, ‘Do I want to make my life great?’