Mark - Lynchburg, Virginia

I believe in HATE.

OK, let me say that again, with emphasis – I BELIEVE IN HATE !!

I am going to let that sink in a little. Maybe I will say it again, I believe in hate.

How many of you sat up and thought “this guy is some type of bigot?” I hate that! Haven’t you been told not to tell a book by its cover?

But hate is such an expressive term. It brings up such vivid memories and feelings. We all know what it is. However, ask 20 people what love is and you will get 20 different answers.

Here are some things that I hate.

I hate that every time I listen to “this I believe” someone is saying what I wanted to say, before I got the chance. Who wouldn’t want to be the first to say to the world, “I believe in truth, laughter, the kindness of strangers, the Constitution,” …. I’m really going to hate if someone else has already submitted an essay that they believe in hate.

I hate people that are in too much of a hurry. Its 6:30 in the morning, the sun is just starting to rise, it’s a beautiful day. Why are you driving 50 miles an hour, in a 35 mile per hour zone? Of course, I think he may hate the police officer who just pulled him over.

I hate when profit overshadows beauty and nature. When is a cow pasture not a cow pasture? When it becomes a strip mall. I have never met a 4-year old who likes concrete and blacktop over a field of grass and flowers with some cows in it. When we are driving, my daughter will find every cow and horse in the area. Not once has she exclaimed “Look daddy, a strip mall on the hill.” We can learn a lot from 4-year olds (that’s not an original idea, and I hate that I wasn’t the first one to say it).

I hate when people don’t use any gift they have. Some can sing or dance, not me. Good thing my wife never saw me dance BEFORE we got married. I don’t have the athletic ability to kick a football through the goalposts, I don’t have the courage to rush into a burning building. Not even the dexterity to fix a watch. Yes, I just broke mine trying to replace the battery – a little super glue and.. Well, I’ll let you know at the end of this essay if it is actually working. I have heard that we all have gifts, you just have to look. Mine? I’m still looking. Yours? Who knows. No matter how old you are, just keep looking for it, the search is half the fun. Then when you find it, use it, and have some more fun.

I hate when people don’t donate something. Most of us can reach into our pockets and give to a worthy charity, but how about reaching into ourselves? A little bit of time, to read, to visit, to help. Get out this week and donate blood, someone needs it (actually, three people need it). My daughter got her first real haircut this week. The 10 inches of hair that were cut off are going to “Locks of Love”.

I hate sickness. Cancer kills thousands, mental health causes distress and despair all over the world. I hate that not everyone is covered by health insurance. Why does it seem that this is not important in the US?

I hate most politicians. Wouldn’t it be nice that during all of the commercials and debates they all had to use truth serum? And wouldn’t it be nice if they have to work five days a week, all year long, or if they take time off, they have to take leave. And when their leave runs out they are docked their pay, and if they are out on leave without pay, they aren’t covered by health insurance. It wouldn’t take some members of Congress long to run out of leave. I think some things would change quickly in this country.

I hate when I ramble on and on.

I hate when people complain about something, and will not do anything to change it. If you are not willing to try to change it, stop complaining.

I hate people that litter. Hey you, yes you, ahead of me at the red light. Is that one of those new types of cars? You know, the ones that DON’T COME WITH AN ASHTRAY?

I hate the way my voice sounds. Every time I call my home answering machine and listen to that sound, I hang up. I wonder how my wife puts up with it. If you’re listening to this, you know what I mean.

I hate when things are “black and white.” Nothing is absolute. Ok, so maybe I should have said that sometimes things might not be definite.

I hate daylight savings time. When the sun is directly over head, I’m ready for lunch.

I hate that I do not say I love you to my wife and family every time I see them.

However, what I really hate is when I run out of chocolate.

I hope today everyone will stop, make a list, and do a little hating.

By the way, my watch is still running, I’m happy.