Lawrence - Beavercreek, Ohio

This I Believe…

I believe that music is the spice of life, and that such beauty can come out of an instrument, and thrive on the audience’s willingness to understand. Willingness to understand the meaning a composer meant for the type of literature that is pleasing to hear, as well as to see the picture that the music is painting on silence. As a musician, I live to watch audiences light up at the sound of my music, and love to hear feedback that tells me that someone understands the portrayal of Chopin’s countless hours of work in the candlelight, and the deaf Beethoven still having the passion to compose. These composers, and many more, had to love what they did as well.

As a long-time participant in music, I have been inspired by my grandfather who has always been an amazing supporter of my musical career, and who is also a musician. Ever since I was a boy he has sang to me and helped me through my obstacles in music. Whenever I am stuck on anything and need inspiration, I always call him. Not only have I loved him as a grandfather but as a musician as well.

I have always loved the art of song, and more so, piano. While many teenagers find new bands with popular music interesting, my ideal concert is hearing a pianist on a 1915 Steinway, for the sake of example, that makes as beautiful a sound as it ever has.

I believe, as well, that music should not be taken for granted. Whether it be a Heavy Metal group, or a concert pianist, music should be respected as a gift. Music is truly one of the best gifts that we have on earth. We have an advantage too, because all of the eras of music can be compounded into one time period which we have today, and if you listen closely, you can hear the different styles. I think many of us take the fact that we can have entertainment in so many forms for granted, and for me, music is where I receive most of mine. So therefore, I call all of you to respect music, take it for what it’s worth, and leave nothing behind, because once the show is over, no one may ever hear the same thing you heard, ever. You are the only one who perceives the art as you do. Just like our fingerprints, each of our likes and dislikes are unique. As broken record as that sounds, when you think about it, it IS true. This I believe.