Kelli - Beavercreek, Ohio

We are all people, with feelings and emotions. We have personalities, quirks and unique traits. This I believe, that beauty is also unique. Maybe a persons looks aren’t perfect, but are they a good person? Television, movies and tabloids all put beauty into our minds as skinny and fit, big boobed and small minded. We should all believe in ourselves- be who we are- and define beauty on our own terms.

It’s al over the news, 95 pound superstars with a size DD bra. Women starving themselves to impress the opposite-sex or because they fell being deathly thin will make them ‘sexier’. Girls are dying of malnutrition, and not thinking twice about how their eating disorder is hurting them, killing them. The press today makes it seem like if you are not toned and tanned, you are totally undesirable.

3 people hat I know, 2 of them very close to me, have been afflicted with eating disorders, 2 anorexia, 1 bulimia. 2 have stopped themselves the realization of their waning health. 1 is still struggling. She stops purging herself, and seems to be better, but you can always tell when she starts up again. And all 3 of them cause this pain to their body for ‘beauty’. They just ‘weren’t pretty enough’. I was never afflicted with an eating disorder, but I know the opposite end of the beauty requirement spectrum. I know the pains of being overweight. I was much younger, but I still remember the looks, the names, the feeling of knowing what people are thinking about you, and what they are saying in their whispers. It’s horrible the requirements we are forced to make, for people who don’t even know our names.

It has been ingrained into our minds what beauty is, the skinnier the better. So many other cultures realize this sick perception of beauty has gotten out of hand. It is hurting their youth, and their society. Recently, Italy banned skinny models from the runway. Any woman who does not meet her BMI (Body Mass Index) requirements, cannot be a model. It’s interesting to think about our world today and our perception of beauty when back in Roman times, skinny women were ugly, it showed that they were poor, and automatically undesirable. However, women with curves were beautiful. Roman Goddesses were portrayed with tummies and behinds, not bones and skin.

We need to look at ourselves and think, “Is this what I want to look like?” Not what others say I should look like to get ‘that guy’. It’s what we decide, and if we say we are beautiful, our confidence will portray us that way, this I believe.