Tanya - Denham Spring, Louisiana
Themes: children

Room to Grow

It was Saturday morning, and after waiting nearly a month, the day had finally arrived. I had a restless night anticipating a day of shopping with my mother. I was dressed and ready to go at 6 am; I even brushed my teeth an extra two minutes. It was hard for my mother to buy all five of her children new things at the same time, so going shopping was a major event in our household. This shopping trip meant that I was going to have mom all to myself and have lunch at Woolworths.

We caught the bus downtown to Canal Street. As we strolled along the sidewalk, it happened. In the front window were the prettiest red shoes I had ever seen. They were shiny with little red bows on top and two little buckles on each side. I knew my life was about to change, but would she buy them?

Mom knew that I wanted those pretty red shoes more than anything, but she thought that it wasn’t appropriate for little girls to wear red shoes. Little did I know, my mother and the clerk had made a deal. Apparently, the shoes did not come in my size. My mother and the clerk gave me shoes that were a size too small, for they thought I would do the right thing. I tried those pretty red shoes on and waltzed around the floor.

Ten minutes later, I left the store wearing my new red shoes. I told my mother they fit perfectly. What a mistake. My feet hurt so badly, and on top of that, my mother insisted on walking. I danced, skipped, hopped, and balled my toes up. My feet hurt so bad all I wanted to do was sit down. I sighed in relief after taking them off.

Finally, my mother figured I had enough; she took me back to the store where I gladly exchanged my pretty red shoes for a black pair that came in my size and that were suitable for my age. My mother never mentioned the fact that I had lied. She said, “Baby, sometimes you need room to grow.” I had learned an important lesson, a belief that I say to myself everyday. Always allow yourself room to grow.