Mohita - 21218, Maryland

I believe in the saying “Pick a flower, affect a star”. In the world today, I see many things that make me question my faith and also reaffirm them. However, my faith is not blind to our daily lifestyle affecting our home, this earth…and so I think every thing we do now will be the cause to some effect in time to come…

This summer, my husband coaxed me into camping in the wilderness. I am a princess at the best of times, and so this prospect did not seem as exciting to me as it did to him. At any rate, I indulged his dream of sleeping in a tent in the middle of the Adirondaks, accepting the thought of creatures crawling silently and plausibly into our sleeping bags…. and simply avoided any thought of the shower and bathroom scenarios! What I experienced once we got there was a tough few days of hiking up steep ascents, and mountain passes and as we scrambled over giant boulders and precariously clung to log ladders, we came to see some spectacular views….lakes that mirrored glassy reflections of the blue skies and the surrounding mountains. What had I been thinking in passing such an opportunity up? Sure, the camping was tiresome and gratifying all in the same breath, and I had never felt so resourceful and humbled by the grandeur and size of it all….but I had actually thought staying in the city was better!

It recently occurred to me that the Cherokee proverb “walk lightly in spring, mother earth is pregnant” reveals this same feeling of wonder and humility that I had felt during that camping trip. I also thought about how enraptured we are by all the wrong things at times. Especially those of us city folk, who are afraid to get our feet dirty but our minds and lungs cleansed! Though more importantly, this experience taught me to respect this home of ours and think about it every time I wanted to throw trash out, or use that extra paper towel in the kitchen. I want for future generations to experience this wonder and know that it could all slip through our fingers every time we drove to the store or our local Starbucks, when we could walk among the best this earth has to offer. My inspiration comes from the brilliant trees who know how to turn into a blaze of color every season. It makes me not only want to plant a tree everywhere there isn’t one, but change my entire life so that I may hold this delicate balance in my hands and nurture it for my future camping trips….