David - Beavercreek, Ohio

From the beginning of time, our world and my country has been torn apart. Torn apart from different opinions, poverty, social class, and war. I have always been the person that tends to be “apathetic” towards these things. Figuring that its not my problem, why should I bother with it? But recently, I have taken a great interest in these issues. I’ve realized that if I take action, I could be the one to make a difference.

There is a reason for my sudden interest. Not because I was told of the statasticis of poverty in a third-world African country, but because of a simple conversation I had with a good friend of mine while we were on a run.

“David, when you look at the world, what do you see?” I thought about this question, and answered thusly.

“I see a world torn apart. Destroyed be disagreements and the need for power.”

“That’s what I see too. But why does it have to be that way? Go to the Middle East, you find a part of the world torn apart by relgion. Disagreement through one another because of the differences in their faith. have you ever wondered why they fight, when they all believe in the same God? How do you think everyone became so divided among each other, David? People want world peace, but do nothing to get it. At this rate it’s never going to happen.” He and I continued to run, but remained in silence. When I went home that night, I went into my room and sat on my bed. I kept on wondering how we are so seperated in our beliefs. Not just seperated as a country, but seperated as men. Men even disagree on God, the one thing that is suppsed to be a symbol of love. I came to a conclusion. The one conversation, out of the thousands that I’ve had, sparked the thought that changed my life. And because of that thought, this I believe. I believe that if we are ever going to unite as a country, and as a planet, people need to accept all possibilities. I believe that the world needs to accepts everyone’s beliefs and the way they live, even if someone is different. I have been living this way for two years, and I feel no hatred or dislike towards anyone.

In this world, there are too many possibilities, too many unanswerable questions, too many unexplained answers. And as the dominant race, we need to be accepting. Even if I believe what you don’t believe. If I can come to this conclusion, I think everyone can. Acceptance is the only way people will find world peace. That is what I believe.