Carlaís - Huntersville, North Carolina

This I Believe: The Power of Creative Energy

Some of my fondest childhood memories were of going to the movie theater. With the buttery, tantalizing scent of popcorn in my nostrils and a pack of fruity Gummy Bears in my hand, I would nestle into the worn theater seats and swell with an ineffable euphoria as the lights dimmed and the captivating orchestra of the film began. It was only four years ago that I realized what that elation really was: a passion.

This passion was driven by my creative energy and boundless imagination. From early childhood on my head was filled with daring adventurers, fun-loving princesses, brooding dragons, Greek gods and goddesses of incredible might and arrogance, crafty wizards, and just about any every talking animal you can think of all painted in vibrant, wonderful color. I have learned to trust in the power of my creative energy because for me it is the strongest energy I know that keeps me going and always saves me…

I had always been writing and illustrating my own goofy little short stories as a child and, although the content is most certainly different now, my passion is still the same and I have never stopped writing since. But I wasn’t half as confident as I am now and I still need a lot of work because it seemed that the only person who supported me at the time was my mother. As a child, when I was bored while waiting for my mother to leave work I would write and draw. Without my permission she would proudly show my stories to her coworkers but almost all of them thought she wrote them herself- as if she even had time to write some children’s stories with chicken-scratch handwriting. Even when I was stupefied over a self-guided fourth grade science project I turned to my only saving grace and illustrated a didactic journey-like story to explain the constellations. Apparently I got away with it just fine because my teacher wanted to try and get it published, which finally gave me the confidence that I had been robbed of for so long from my mother’s friends and even some relatives.

Being an ardent moviegoer and fiction writer, I figured that all I had to do to determine my future goals was to combine my two passions to become a screenwriter- for as Aristotle once said, “Where your talents and the needs of the world cross, there lies your vocation.” The power of creative energy gives me the greatest opportunity I have to make a difference and express myself.