Danielle - Oak Park, California

Thrifty’s Ice Cream

My favorite dessert is definitely rocky road ice cream, especially the Thrifty’s brand from Rite-Aid. From my past experiences, I have noticed that the employees have not acted in a normal way. The people who serve me have strange motions and unusual actions. As a result, people, including myself, look down upon them.

My mom took my siblings, my friend, and me to Rite-Aid for ice cream as a treat. We walked in and my brother, being the 5 year old he was, ran to the aisle with candy. My mom followed. The rest of us walked up to the counter. A man was there, waiting to serve us. He wore glasses, had dark skin and looked Persian.

He gave us a crooked smile and asked with a Middle Eastern accent, “Hi ladies. Can I help you with anything?”

“Yes. Can I have one scoop of Chocolate Chip ice cream?” my sister ordered.

“Sorry,” he said. “We’re out of that flavor.”

She gave him a strange look. She pointed through the glass and said, “Uh. It is right there.” We all looked at each other and we could not hold back our laughter. The container of ice cream was directly in front of him and he did not notice. We finally contained our laughter. He handed her the cone of ice cream. I then ordered my ice cream.

The last to order was my friend. She stared through the glass of the counter and said, “This time I am going to try something new. One Peach Sorbet on a cone please.”

“Sorry. We don’t have that,” he replied.

She laughed, pointed, and said, “It’s right there.” My sister and I snorted while trying to control our laughter.

“Maybe you should try it before you buy it. What if you don’t like it,” he suggested.

“No it’s okay. I’ll just get it,” she said, starting to get annoyed.

He took the ice cream scooper and dipped it into the container. “It’s kind of soft,” he said. “You should get it in a cup instead of a cone.”

“No. It’s fine,” she said.

He replied, “Well I’ll just give you a cup to hold underneath just in case it drips.”

“Um, okay,” she said.

He handed her ice cream with a cup underneath it and about thirty napkins.

He said proudly, “Here you go!” We handed him the money and walked out. Once we left the store we all started laughing again. We were making fun of him and his mental disability.

I later thought about that day and the man that we laughed at. I have realized that it was wrong for us to make fun of him. This I believe: People should not be made fun of others just because of their level of intelligence or disabilities they might have. Everyone should be treated equal no matter where they work or who they associate with.