AARON - Oak Park, California

Just the other day I saw a television show called True Life on MTV. This particular episode was about three people with Tourrettes syndrome. The first person was a twenty two year old man. He had his whole life ahead of him until he was diagnosed with this terrible syndrome. He lived at home with his parents because he didn’t feel safe living on his own with his illness. He seemed like a normal guy except he had occasional twitches but he couldn’t lead a normal life because he couldn’t drive because he didn’t want a twitch two cause a car crash, he also couldn’t go on dates because people didn’t want to have a relationship with a person who is always twitching.

The next person was a pretty normal professional motor cross rider named “twitch” but he couldn’t always pull off his tricks because of his twitches. He had a wife and a daughter and lead a very fortunate life, but his motor cross riding was affected by his illness. It cost him a win at a contest, and a lot of broken bones. That put him out of work for a while.

But the most severe case was this high school girl. She couldn’t do anything a normal teen wanted to do like riding a bike or go to the movie theater because of her illness. She not only had twitches but she screamed and yelled against her will, she also had little control of her body when it wanted to twitch which caused a lot of pain for her. She had very few friends because she tended to lash out at people because of her Tourrettes. Her true love was participating in plays and acting but it was very hard and painful to try to control her twitches.

My point is, would you like to live your life like that? Your answer should probably be “no”, but many people that don’t have a disease or illness don’t take care of themselves and don’t respect their body. They don’t realize how much their health is taken for granted. So my lesson is that you should be thankful for your life and be thankful for your family because life can change very quickly and things can go down hill faster than you can imagine. Stay thankful and respectful and healthy and enjoy your life. This I believe.