Traci - Oak Park, California

About seven years ago I met my best friend. Kelly and I have been inseparable ever since the second week of third grade. Kelly was new to the city of Oak Park and hadn’t made any friends yet. My mom knew one of their family’s best friends, and she was told about Kelly. After finding out that Kelly ate lunch alone every day, my mom suggested that I invite her to eat lunch with me. I did, and since then we have been the best of friends. I believe in being a true friend.

I gave my love to Kelly that day and everyday after. On September 29, 2004 Kelly was diagnosed with diabetes. She had a cough and to top it all off she had a sore throat. She made it to school for half of the week and stayed home the rest. She was hoping to get rid of this nasty symptom. It didn’t go away. So her mom took her to the pediatrician to see if they new what was going on. They didn’t. So they took blood tests which would be returned in the next few days. The very next morning, Kelly woke up throwing up. She was so weak that she couldn’t even walk. So her mom took her to the hospital were they found out they she had diabetes. She stayed in the hospital so that she could get some rest. When the nurses allowed Kelly to see visitors, I was there right away. I gave her the biggest hug ever. I asked her a question which sparked endless stories. I missed my best friend and was so glad to see her. I was there to help her out with any problems, considering that this diabetes thing was so new to her. If she couldn’t’ make it to school I would always pick up her work and call her to see how she was doing. I was and am always there for my best friend,

The love I show to Kelly is always returned. On September 11, 2001 my grandma was diagnoses with Leukemia. She battled with cancer for about six months and passed away on April 8, 2002. My grandma and I had a very close relationship, so it was very tragic to see her go. Kelly was there to let me know that everything was going to be ok. She comforted me when I started to think of my grandma. She always loved me and never got mad when I would take my frustration out on her. I love my best friend.

You’d be surprised to find out that Kelly and I are completely different. For example, we have very different tastes in style and jewelry. However, we respect and accept each other for our differences. Kelly is my best friend and I am hers. I believe in being a true friend.