Jeremy - Cincinnati, Ohio

I believe greed is our greatest enemy

Read a little history, choose any era. Then skip a thousand years ahead, or back, and read a little more. Make a U-turn in the other direction a hundred years or so, peruse a handful of histories; of kings and war, and so on. You’ll notice a dreary pattern which is never absent.

Greed.

Greed has driven every war, every slaughter, mass slavery and great epochs of misery and want. Religious wars took their grievous toll, truly, but with few exceptions the genuine motivation behind the holiest of sword-fests was an all-too-human lust for land and glittering riches. The deepest greed, the variety that leads entire generations to their deaths for no gain of their own, is that which can never be satisfied. The leaders of state who, given far more power than they deserve, cannot slake their thirst for more money, more control. They would devour the world and still turn to other worlds for more. Corporate Supermen who envisage the world as a balance sheet, with their own vault as the receptacle for the bottom line. Of course greed is not limited to bullion only. There is greed for power, for social manipulation and personal status. But these other motivations lead right back to the swollen coffers. For what is power but the ability to dominate the economy and wealth of a group or a nation? Why bother with the trouble of subjugating your people if not to maintain a stable market and investment climate, while protecting the privileges of the elite?

But we can fight greed, every one of us. We have the strength to do so, and we must.

Each of us has a hand in the final tally of just how much of this destructive gluttony we will tolerate. Each of us needs to accept the truths that are glaring us in the face. I know it’s not easy, it can seem overwhelming. But we face now one of the worst crises in the history of this earth, which can be said without the slightest exaggeration. The insatiable greed of the few, supported by our willful blindness to an awful truth, sends our sons and daughters off to massacre innocents by the tens of thousands, devastating landscapes, only to die themselves for nothing more than greater profit margins! Our planet is literally being torn apart, scorched, dissolved and poisoned to death by the greed of a comparative handful of people! We can stop this, if we only wake up and find a little strength. Educate yourself, make the slightest of efforts and a change will occur! Information is tremendously easy to access today, and while much is skewed to support the corporations whose hand can be clearly seen in the savaging of our world, the truth can still be found on how we might save our planet, our civilizations, and our collective soul.

I believe greed is our greatest enemy, but I also believe we can defeat it, and enjoy true peace at last.