Carrie - Bellingham, Washington

“This I Believe”

It’s kind of funny, how often we compare and contrast ourselves. Person to person, human to human. I’m white, you’re black. I’m liberal, you’re conservative. I’m straight, you’re gay. All these differences, which have no real biological data entry in our systems. IF you were to look at us, our DNA, our makeup, perhaps the only real difference- give or take would be our sex. And even that is minute difference in our genetic strands. Essentially, we are all one and the same. That’s why I wonder why we have such a hard time tolerating our differences, why things that may seem different to us, are often so hard to swallow.

I was out with my grandmother to lunch a few months back, and we were just chatting away, about school and life and so forth, when she asked me:

“Do think kids choose to be gay because they think it is cool?” I looked at her with a bit of shock. I knew this is what my very devout Christian Grandmother really, truly believed. I shook my head, and informed her that being gay wasn’t a choice, any more than it was a choice that I was a girl, or for her being a Christian. It was just a part of life and personal preference, one that had no choice. It just was. Just as we simply just are. Although I am not a gay individual, several of my very close friends are, and even if I don’t see them any differently, it’s kind of hard to forget that many people do. People still believe that Gay individuals choose this matter, and many times, they are religious zealots condemning homosexuals to hell and accusing them of corruption and immorality. I think this in acceptance and hatred is immoral. We as a people need to look past our differences, the ones that we do not have a choice in the matter, and start realizing we are all the same and accept one another; for that is one decision we do have an option. We all have the option to coexist and live happily, side by side. In this I believe.