Cayla - Olathe, Kansas

Cayla Neely

Believing is “to trust in; to accept as true; or to hold as an opinion.” (Webster’s Pocket Dictionary). In today’s society, it is extremely complex to determine what is right and wrong in ones beliefs. What determines what is right and what is wrong to believe in?

As I was sitting, trying to think of an interesting topic on believing, one that I could write a lot about, I listed all of the things that I did and did not believe in and I realized that all of my beliefs were based upon my religion.

I am a Christian and I believe in God. Because I believe in God, I am limited to what I can and cannot believe in. I am not forced to act this way, it is my decision (with a little help from my parents because I grew up in a Christian-based household) to live this way. I was taught to believe in Jesus Christ and to accept him as my Lord and Savior because he died on the cross for my sins.

Christians are supposed, the key word being supposed, to not believe in sins such as witchcraft, gays/lesbians, and remaining celibate until marriage. I believe we as Christians should be able to see movies such as The Davinci Code, watch Television shows such as Next when there is a girl looking for a mate who is also a girl, and believe it or not some people do make mistakes and don’t save themselves for marriage. Some may think that these things may chip away at a “decent” society, but what exactly is a decent society? As long as our faith is strong and we know what we believe in without a doubt we should be fine. Just because we witness these things does not mean that we will be doing them the next day.

Believing is “to trust in; to accept as true, or to hold as an opinion.”(Merriam-Webster’s Pocket Dictionary) To tell you the truth, I don’t know what to believe in other than God, and Jesus, and Jesus dying on the cross for our sins. Because I am a Christian it does affect the decisions that I make and who I hang out with. It’s all really confusing to me, we’re suppose to live life to the fullest but how can we do that if thou shall not tell a little white lie or talk about that ridiculous shirt Mary had on the other day.