Krista - Oak Park, California

African Safari

Have you ever seen ferocious lions attack a graceful gazelle, gorillas pounding their chest to show how superior they are, and herds of animals migrating towards one spot? I see these types of things everyday except I don’t live in the jungles of Africa but the suburbs of Southern California. I believe that high school students can smell fresh meat so every situation needs to be caution. When high school students can smell weakness you better run or you may not get out alive.

I guess I would be considered one of the drama geeks at my school but every one of us is sociable and nice. People think we’re all divas and homosexuals but that is just a vicious stereotype. I have a friend who is a little effeminate but he is one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet and he is really funny. At the park the other day a bunch of drama kids and a bunch of sophomores were standing around the ice cream truck. One of the sophomores just comes up, punches my friend in the face, and calls him a fag. Everyone was paralyzed it just shocked them so much. Why do people feel the need to take out their own insecurities on others?

I was tortured for two years by a group of girls who thought they were popular. They poked me, spread rumors about me, and made fun of my family. I later found out that the leader of the group was her family’s star. Her brother was an outcast and her sister was invisible so her parents put all their attention into her trying to make her well liked. Her family was everything she teased me about. She was poor, her family was odd, and she was promiscuous. She chose me because I am smart, I’m bigger than everyone and I wasn’t the most popular person. Everyone is trying to better their image but do you really have to hurt others to do it?

High school is like a stampede everyone is trying to get ahead and they don’t care who they step on to get there. Parents think their kids are happy and good but they are either the bully or the one that gets bullied. People wonder why kids complain but if parents actually knew what was going on maybe things would be better. I believe that parents need to take an avid interest in their children because you never know what they are hiding. I believe that kids are vicious and if they detect a bit a weakness they will attack. I believe four years is all it takes to break a kids spirit and I believe that the only people that have the power to do anything about it is us, the students and their parents.