Dana - Oak Park,, California

You Cannot Replace a Good Friend

Although I have not had tons of friends in my 14 years of life, I believe in a good friend. Friends are there for each other when you need them the most. They are there during good times, and bad times, they are people who bring out the best of you and talk to you about everything. Good friends are there for moral support and much needed advice. They are people who you can have fun with and who have your back no matter what. You know when you’ve found someone special because they will always have your trust. A good friend is irreplaceable.

I was five and I had one best friend. We were inseparable, but unfortunately, our differences drifted us farther apart through the years and now, somehow, she is once again my best friend. I feel that even though we are different, we are the same, in a sense of friendship.

I made many friends during those six years that we were apart, but I’m sorry to say that we are not even friendly to this day. I have lost touch with a couple of them because for one reason or another, they had to move to different cities and states. Some of them, I regrettably admit I am not friends with them now because I was not a good friend to them. I was wrong. I let them down when they needed me the most, and I am disappointed in myself for treating them poorly, but I know I have changed.

I have many friends currently, and growing, but two best friends. I found that I sometimes we argue, and sometimes we fight, but at the end of the day, I always know that I have someone to lean on during bad times, someone to laugh with, and someone to talk to 365 days of the year.

I am not saying that I have been the world’s greatest friend to many of my old buddies, and I’m not saying I’ve been the worst, but I have not recognized the power that a good or bad friend has on another person by the actions that they take, knowingly or not. I have figured out that besides family, friends are the most important thing in someone’s life; they make everything easier because you know that you always have someone that is watching out for you. You cannot replace a good friend. I believe, in a good friend.