Jessica - California
Themes: death, hope, setbacks

The Silver Lining

“Every cloud has a silver lining.” This is a phrase that I have heard many times throughout my life, but never really realized the truth of. Every now and then I would notice how something good came from something bad, but I never realized how it applied to my whole life in general.

My older brother died before I was born, he was only three and half. My mother tells me that I used to say I could see him when I played with his blocks. In third grade the boy I sat next to died, just as we were becoming good friends. When I think about these two deaths I feel upset that they both lost their lives so young, but it also has taught me that I should try and stay positive and look for the good in every situation.

From third grade to fourth I switched schools. I was afraid that I wouldn’t make new friends, but I looked at the silver lining of the situation. I reminded myself that I wasn’t quitting the girl scout troop I was in, so I would still get to see all of them at least once a week. In addition to this I met one of my best friends that year. In sixth grade I only had one class with my friends, and I was nervous that I wouldn’t really have anyone to talk to. However, because I had no friends in my class I began talking to the new girl, Kalaya, who was in all of my classes except for one. We sat near each other in all of our classes too, so we got to talk all the time. When I thought I’d have no friends in my classes, I ended up meeting my best friend. As I went into ninth grade my mom told me that I had to either join a sport or a club. I knew that the only time I would get to see most of my friends was during lunch-when most clubs meet, so I decided I’d join a sport. When I joined cross country I was expecting to hate it, although part of me was excited that I’d get to meet new friends. Now I absolutely love it, and I’ve made many great friends because of it!

All through my life small things happened because of other things. When I switched schools I managed to keep my old friends and make new ones, when I had no friends in my classes I met my best friend and when I had to join a sport I thought I’d hate I found that I loved it and was actually good at it, and I made lots of friends. Whenever something seems bad, I try to find the good that might come of it. Every cloud has a silver lining, even if it might be hard to find at first.