Ciara - Oak Park, California

Success in Sports: Revel the Person you Are

Dream, Desire, Dedication. Clear your mind, channel your energy, and reach for the gold. Playing sports is not only healthy, but also builds character. I believe playing sports makes you a better person- physically and mentally. “Be a member of a team, rely on the team, defer to it, and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion” Mia Hamm. Sports teach a sundry of lessons: focusing, cooperating with others, practice makes perfect, discipline, sportsmanship, taking criticism, and being a leader. I’ve been playing soccer since I was four, and I have loved it ever since.

You are stepping on the field to play a game, think about the task at head. Focus is concentrating your attention and energy. Only think about what you’re going to accomplish during the game.

Being on the same team is like being in the same family. You would do anything for your team, and you know they would be there for you. You understand that you are not always right and learn to cooperate with your other team members. Sports create a special bond between team members that teach you to listen to other people’s ideas and learn from them.

Practice the way you want to play is what my dad always tells me. In order to achieve your dreams you must practice and apply yourself everyday so you can become a better player. This teaches you to work hard so it will pay off in the long run.

“The vision of a champion is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when nobody else is looking” Mia Hamm. That is an example of discipline which is how hard you push yourself. You are the only person that can make yourself work harder, and I believe that is a good quality that sports teach.

You lost the game, but you know the right thing to do is shake hands with the other team. “A person of character plays fair even when others don’t and values no achievement unless attained with honor” Michael Josephson. Sports teach that no matter how the game went be the better person, and do the right thing.

“Come on, get in the game!” a teammate shouts to you while you’re playing. Don’t take it personally. Work hard to improve because your teammate only wants you to get better. Sports teach how to take criticism the right way.

Your team decides to be lazy and not warm-up. Take charge; tell them to start stretching. Athletics help you to become a leader and learn to take charge when needed.

Playing sports is healthy, and builds character. I believe playing sports makes you a better person- physically and mentally. By playing sports you are experiencing being a member of a team, focus, good sportsmanship, practice, taking criticism, being a leader, and discipline. Get out there and play, and just remember, “Go hard or go home” Michelle Akers.