Marissa - Thousand Oaks, California
Themes: purpose, work

Always Try Your Best

Today, teenagers are weighed down with many things: homework and school, friends, peer pressure, sports, and other after-school activities that they choose to participate in. Personally, I have always been someone who wants to cram everything into their schedule, regardless of how much time I even have. But, all of the work that is required of a high-school student can become quite overwhelming.

Tons of schoolwork can make you feel like it’s impossible to accomplish anything. Sometimes when I have too much work, I want to give up. I like school, but after awhile, all of the work seems useless. But, my father has always told me, “Don’t be a quitter. You can do anything you want to do if you try.” He also taught me that if you’re going to do something, you should do it to the best of your ability. What’s the point of doing something if you’re not going to do it whole-heartedly? I’ve kept this philosophy in mind every time I feel like I want to stop and quit whatever I’m doing. Whenever I do this, I think to myself and realize, I don’t want to be a quitter. I want to be known as someone who worked hard, went out and accomplished their dream. In the end, I want to be proud of myself, and even more importantly, I want to be happy. By working hard now, I know it will pay off later.

If my Dad taught me anything, it’s that you should always try your best. Whether it is homework, preparing an audition, or anything else that life throws at us, you should want to feel proud of what you’ve accomplished. When you work hard, and you know you’ve tried your best, it’s nice to get that warm fuzzy feeling inside. So, the next time you feel weighed down and helpless, just remember that no matter what, you should always try your best.