Brian - Oak Park, California

“This I Believe”

When was the last time that you had a babysitter? Do you still know your childhood babysitter, or even perhaps the kids that you played with growing up? Well, I do, my babysitter was my grandma and the kids that I played with were my cousins. Crying, begging, and pleading that my mom doesn’t go out-of-town, the only thing she had to tell me was, “Your staying at Nanny and Papa’s house this weekend.” Just that turned my frown upside down and I was actually looking forward to my parents going away. Family gatherings were and are still the norm for my family. Confused about homework, thinking that it is impossible and that only Mrs. Johnson knows how to do it, I would come home so frustrated and would complain and complain to my mom and all she would say is “Call Papa and see if you can come for help.” I find my self within about five minutes drinking instant coffee and gasping full of relief because my grandpa (not Mrs. Johnson) just taught me and helped me complete my homework.

Almost burning my grandparents house down didn’t even put our relationship to a slamming halt, well maybe for a little bit, but to my surprise they forgave me and still welcomed me with open arms. Boy was I scared out of my mind but they still loved me and treated me as if nothing happened.

Basketball, baseball, or football, never mattered what sport. Most extended families would call you after a sports game and say, “How was your game?” but not for me, for me my whole family was there cheering me on and instead they always said “Great game!” In their eyes I am great and always will be great.

Did you have anyone to hang out with as a little feller? That was never ever a problem for me because I had my cousins always there for me ready to play. Almost every day we would go to one of our houses, choosing which one to go to all the time. Although, our favorite house to go to was our grandparents house because it belongs to all of us and there were always the coolest, newest, and hippest toys to play with. Fistfights over who plays Playstation first only made my bond between my cousins stronger. That bond that was there when I was little is still there and stronger than ever. All the traditions that we had in my family when I was growing up still happen regularly. I believe that family and extended family is the most important thing to have especially as a kid, and I wouldn’t be the same without it. This I believe.