Amanda - Oak Park, California

Music Helps You to Get Along in Life

Music is the one of the things that helps me get around in this world. Ever since before I was born, I have been listening to music. When I was a baby, I always had music playing while I was sleeping. As I grew older, I became more and more interested into music. When I was about 3 or 4, I would walk around the house listening to music on my tape player. When I was 9, I decided to start playing the piano. The sounds it made made me all happy inside. It gave me joy.

I don’t like to make my own music, but I still try to understand how to. I still listen to bands like My Chemical Romance, AFI, No One Goes Home, and more. Before I had heard of any of these bands, I was listening to pop and hip-hop music. These bands have changed my whole life. They were always there for me, and I know they always will be. Later on through the years, the Apple Company made this device called an iPod. My sister had one, and I thought it was so awesome because you could take your music anywhere you wanted to go. (Hearing this news was an amazing thing.) After I had heard that my sister had one, I decided to save up all of my money and buy one. Instead, I got one for my 14th birthday. Now, I was lucky enough to get a second one for my 15th birthday. These inventions are great because you never know, you may get bored one day and not have anything to do. But then, there’s your iPod, and you can listen to all the music you want to.

I express music in two ways, it either makes me sad, or happy. Most of the time, music makes me happy. Music also tells you how that person is feeling. For example, in the lyrics, they would talk about how two people love each other, but just don’t want to share it with each other. Music has emotions like this, and it also expresses emotions in the sound of the music. For example, a slow song may express emotions.

Now that I’m 15 and playing an instrument, I can let out my emotions or my feelings in the music that I hear or try to play. Music helps me to understand how people are feeling in this world. Music helps me to get along in life, this I believe.