Harris - 94920, California

Harris Phillips Brown/Writers Workshop

Doing What Is Right

Do What Is Right

This topic might seem easy to overcome and abide by. However, in my experience it is one of the most challenging concepts to master. In just the last few months there are numerous times I had to make the right decision, and believe me it is not easy.

Just last month I was standing in the airport, in a small coffee shop coming back from beautiful British Columbia. I saw a tall, young adult standing in front of me in line. He, without warning grabbed a handful of candy, a magazine and a small teddy bear, and then jammed it all into his backpack. I was tempted to call the security, however I realized, was that the right thing to do? This question has been haunting me ever since. What was the right thing to do? Should I report this crime, or let him go. I thought to myself how harshly this young adult would be punished for this small crime. I pondered this thought for a few moments to long. The criminal got away ad all I could do was stand there frozen to the spot.

After hours and hours of thinking about that incident, I have finally acknowledged that the decision I made that day was the wrong one. I concluded to this decision because, I realized that this small crime might in time turn into a very large one. Since he got away with this he might think it possible to rob something or somewhere much larger and more valuable. If he got caught doing that, his consequences would be far greater. So in a sense I would be helping him as well, as doing what’s right.

To do the right thing is one of the most important and challenging things you could ever possibly do. It takes immense personal strength, courage, and most times incredibly difficult to know what the right thing actually is. When you encounter a situation that requires you to do what is right stop, think to yourself what you truly think is the most ethically correct thing you could do. Ignore the others around you and go by what your instinct tells you. I truly believe with all of my hart, that if you try to do what’s right, hand in hand we will be able to make this world a much better and safer place.