Henry - Oak Park, California

Moving Forward

A wise man by the name of Carl Jung once said, “The greatest and most important problems in life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.” Some problems in life have no solution, so you just have to keep moving forward. As a competitive athlete, I have learned and lived by this principle.

The sport that I succeed in the most, and have a great passion for, is running. I am a distance runner who competes in cross country and track. I was always one of the best amongst those around me and would tend to race at high levels. Unfortunately, I was not able to reach my full potential due to the fact that I am VERY injury prone. My greatest season of all was definitely last year during cross country. I strived to greatness and was on the brink of reaching nationals, when another injury struck.

The entire season I trained unbearably to reach my goal, however, in the midst of the 2.5 mile race that would have qualified me, I broke my foot. Another injury had occurred, this time, demeaning everything I had worked for all season. I was very upset at first and was not sure how to go about it. I assumed I would be back to running shape in less than three months, in the mean time, all I could do was look forward to track season in the spring. However, no matter how many doctors I went to or exercises I did to help my foot heal, it would not. I realized that I would eventually have to have surgery, and if the surgery did not work I would never be able to run again. The point is that instead of isolating myself from everyone, due to my inability to compete, I kept my head held high and used the extra time, that I would have spent practicing, to focus on school and have fun with friends. I am currently recovering from surgery now in the fall of 2006, and said to be healed and ready to run by this winter. As a result I lost a year of training, which will probably hold me back from where I was at one point for a very long time, and hopefully will not be permanent. However, I gained a year full of knowledge, self discipline, and extra time. I moved forward instead of looking back through my suffering, and I believe that I will continue to do the same throughout life.