Cassandra - Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Themes: sports

September 9, 2006 at 12:30 afternoon on a warm, sunny day was a start of my sophomore year soccer season. I have been waiting for soccer season all year and I never thought I would have to stop. The referee blows the whistle and the third game begins. The thoughts in my mind were stirring and hoping for a victory. Only ten minutes into the game, I fell hard to ground, and was not able to get up. This is when I had realized that this season was nothing I had envisioned.

One of many quotes by Robert Frost says, “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” Devastated and upset, all I wished was that a month of not playing would fly by, and then I could play soccer again; however, I was inspired by the words of Robert Frost. I realized that eventually, I will be able to play again. My life will go on, but many people in the world are less fortunate than me and cannot do half the things I can do, even with my injury. My friends helped carry my books and even waited for me to catch up if I am behind. I believe I need to make the best out of the worst situations no matter how they impact me because if I dwell on all the bad things in my life, I will just miss out on the good ones.

Sitting on the sidelines every game, I did not want to be miserable because life will go on and my time will come to play. I laughed and had a good time, thinking only of the positive things that could happen. I believe life is seen as a glass of water being half full because if I think positively about the worst situations, I will always be happy and smile. If I realize how fortunate I am of what I have and what I can accomplish no matter how much time it takes, I will always be successful in life. My situation was very tough for me, and I only thought of the negative things; however, looking at life half full, I realized I cannot miss out on all the exciting happenings surrounding me. I needed to let go of my cheerlessness and look at everything positively as an educating experience. Being in such a rough and dreadful situation with an injury, I did not look at it as a letdown, but I learned and forgot about it because life goes on.