Lisa - Oxford, Ohio

This I believe, that friendship is some strong medicine. The chemo drugs coursing through my body are searching for any cancer cells that may have escaped the surgeon’s attention. I’m stacking all bets on that hope.

But I believe that friendship can be an even stronger medicine.

I believe that only a true friend would be willing to undo your dressings for the first time following a double mastectomy and sit on your bed while you take your first shower, to make sure you’re not alone. I believe that that friend made me feel less broken that day.

I believe that laughing with a friend when meeting with the plastic surgeon for breast reconstruction can make the reality less painful. I believe that laughter has only good side affects.

I believe that a friend can bring healing with simple gestures. A friend can give hope with a silly card or an unexpected meal. I believe that a friend’s phone call can chase away the pains of a lonely day. And a friend bringing good smelling handcream can make you feel pretty and cared for.

I believe that a friend who organizes meals from the community for your family during the tough times can erase the worry of what will happen when Mom is sick.

I believe that a friend sitting with you during long chemotherapy treatments can remove the dread of the side affects that are ahead. I believe that if my friend hadn’t driven me to treatments, I may have been tempted to find something else to do that day.

I believe that as I finish my last chemo treatment today, I’m the luckiest person alive. I believe that the friend who stood by my side since I was diagnosed with cancer has saved my life, or at least my sanity. That’s some strong medicine!