Tyler - Oak Park, California

Personalizing Self Discipline

As a very important quote states,” The only discipline that lasts is self discipline.” This quote also means that you should teach yourself, and anything you learn from someone else can be accepted or rejected in your mind. Every person should try to learn from his or her selves, and try to keep their own opinions on what’s right or wrong. A lot of what you learn to do is based on a system or morals that may come from your family, friends, and yourself. Your job is to sort out what you believe is right and wrong from the knowledge you’ve collected and found yourself.

I really started understanding what this meant when I stopped letting people force me to act like they do, and believe what they think is right or wrong. If everyone were like this, nobody would think for him or her selves. I like to keep opinions based on my observations, rather than everyone else’s. Sometimes it can be hard for a person to show their uniqueness because they’re afraid of what other people think. Most people mimic other people’s opinions to fit in. I truly think that someone with the courage to speak their mind is way “cooler” than anyone else who closes their thoughts.

This doesn’t mean that you need to try to be what everyone else isn’t, but it really means that you need to keep your thoughts open for ideas and things you like; not just everyone else. I follow what I think is right, and I am neither scared of what other people think, nor am I the type to not like someone because they are different. Being you is always the best thing to do.

I just want to tell everyone out there to not conform to what others say or do. I have been doing magic tricks for a hobby for about 4 years. I have had some negative criticism for it (I don’t understand why), while other individuals like my hobby. I don’t let anything stop me, because its what I like to do. Most people just fan the fire by making fun of someone different; it may just be that they long to show who they are, and they are scared to do it. When it all comes down to it, you must discipline yourself to gather the courage to speak what’s on your mind, and have your own thoughts and opinions. “The only discipline that lasts is self discipline.” That’s what I believe in.