Megan - Thousand Oaks, California

Minorities, they are everywhere, every corner, every alleyway, every state. They normally have no family, no friends, and unfortunately, no hope. Usually, we middle and upper-class citizens have no time to acknowledge these less fortunate people. We don’t smile as we pass by, we just stare in shock or amazement, possibly ruining the day of that man or woman. What we don’t know is that just a smile; an effortless, easy, smile can brighten the day of one of these poor, hopeless people.

I first realized this when I was on summer vacation in New York this past year. New York, being probably the most diverse city on the planet, is overflowing with rich and poor people. I was walking with my family when I saw a homeless man. This man was not getting in anyone’s way, causing any disruption, or disturbing the peace in any way at all. Not one person who walked by gave him a smile or a gesture towards the man and if they did decide to do anything, what they had to say was not very nice at all. From what I could see, the man was not happy, he was having a bad day, and the people walking by were not helping. I decided that I would be bold and daring, so I gave that man a smile, a heart-warmed, loving smile to show that I cared about his feelings. His face lit up, as did mine and we kept moving on with our busy lives.

What I did that hot, humid day may not have helped the man financially, but I know I made the man’s day just a little better. The whole point of this story is to give hope. Hope to everyone all over the world to show that we care. A simple smile, look, or gesture, could make or break a persons day. Knowing that, we should all take just five short seconds out of our day to acknowledge those who are not as fortunate as us.

We should never look down upon any of these fine people, because in the end they are just as hopeless as the rest of us. No matter where a person is from, a smile is endless. There isn’t one language that can’t understand that. The reason is simple; a smile can not be translated, for its meaning is far too powerful to be put into words. Everyone should help those in need, no matter what way thy do it in, but a smile is such an easy way to complete, yet another day without hope. Therefore, I believe in the smile. ?