Alan - California

This I believe

“Forgiveness means letting go of the past.” This quote was written by Gerald Jampolsky. It lead me to reflect on something that happened to me not too long ago.

It was during the summer when my best-friend did something that hurt me and made me really mad. He lied to me about something that meant a lot to me. I didn’t know that he had lied until I found out from someone else. I consider honesty to be the most important thing in a friendship. For that reason I became very angry at him, and I didn’t want to be his friend any more. I felt like I couldn’t trust him.

A couple days later he came to me with sorrow, and explained how sorry he was. He told me that he wasn’t thinking when he started the rumor about me, he wanted to be my friend again, so he told everyone that he was just kidding around. He practically gave me a speech, and the last words were, “do you forgive me?”

I knew I had to forgive my best friend which I had known my whole life. In a second I had a flash back of all the memories of the fun times we had together since we were young. From the first time we went trick or treating to the last Christmas we spent together, recess at school, playing basketball, going to Lampost Pizza. I couldn’t deny the fact that I wanted to be his friend again as well so I responded to him, “I forgive you.”

From what I had learned, I realized that what happened to him could’ve happened to me, because what he did was for the spur of the moment, even though it was a stupid thing to do, we all as humans make mistakes, its part of life. One bad thing wasn’t going to break the great friendship we had and all the great times to come. We give and forgive. That fall was part of the past already and we were once again planning the next fun thing to do: “Forgiveness means letting go of the past.”