Michael - Agoura Hills, California

Michael Hunter Park

This I Believe Essay

Period 5 English

October 21, 2006

Our Little Musical Reality

Everyone I know says that they all listen to whatever music is popular or what they think is the best type of music. Normally this will include some hip hop, rap, or a normal musical band with a guitar or two. Not many people I know, but the people who have experimented with many types of music, take the time to enjoy the type of music that can stimulate the senses. Most of the time its, “Oh my God, that’s my favorite song too,” which basically shows me that the sound and rhythm of the music dominates over its actual meaning.

A simple example is the cultural music of any African tribe or Native American tribe. These people use each song to represent how they feel, and how they respect all of the gifts around them. Some songs could simply be Gregorian chants of the medieval monks who use their music to show their devotion and love towards God. Sadly, most of today’s music is dominated by the hip hop stars who write songs to simply bring in money with their booming bass sounds and with rap lyrics such as “keep my mind on my money, money on my mind” from the song, “Moneymaker” by the rapper Ludacris. I’m not saying that this music isn’t enjoyable or doesn’t have a valid meaning to some people, but I don’t really consider provocative songs to be meaningful, especially when you incorporate the lyrics that can come with these songs such as the one I just mentioned.

Now I’m not implying that I only listen to the chants of monks or the classical works of Beethoven because I’m far from that and have listened to rock music most of my life. The only thing I believe is that music can and should relate to anything in this world. Go pick up a rock and skip it across a pond, and you’ll notice that successfully skipping it sounds somewhat smooth while messing up makes a harsher or displeasing sound. Everything in our world makes music. Go sit in your backyard and listen to nature’s own music. Listen to chimes sounding together in the soothing wind, and you will find it quite peaceful because you may realize that these sounds may be relaxing. Now, I’m not saying that everyone will find this to be true. I guess it’s more possible that it’s the artistic people who could see somewhere where I am coming from, but I think everyone can discover this if they try.

All to sum it up, I believe that music can influence the life of people if they simply take the time to just close their eyes and listen. You will find that there is music that does not have to have lyrics or anything electric sounding in it. This I believe.