Megan - Olathe, Kansas

I believe in passion. Not just the passion you would associate with a romance but the passion that drives us forward in life. I believe that everyone needs to feel this passion in order to truly be alive and experience something.

When I was younger I really didn’t have any passion. Oh, sure I loved running around playing imaginary games with my friends as much as any other kid did but whenever someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I never had an answer. I didn’t really want to be anything. I would just say either the first thing that popped into my head or whatever my parents had been discussing with me. But there was never anything I felt the drive, the need to do.

Then one day I was plopped right into the middle of it kicking and screaming. I was forced to enroll in Stagecraft class. Let me tell you I had no desire to be in the class. In fact I would have done anything to get out of that class. But it was a twist of fate that put me in there because through that class I discovered my passion. I discovered the one thing that put the light in my eyes and the smile on my face, make my heart pound with joy and the one thing that would rule my life from then on, Theatre.

Stagecraft first taught me the wonder of technical theatre, but through technical theatre I was introduced into the world of acting. To you this may sound like every little girl’s dream of being a famous actress but to me it’s so much more. The flashy uncomfortable costumes, the awkward situations, the frantic memorizing of lines, the blazing hot lights, the itchy stage makeup that causes break outs, the lasting friendships, and the nervous butterflies and the heady rush when you walk out onstage all converge into one thing. My life, my passion, everything I want to do and everything I need to do.

Some people still think it’s a stage, that I’ll grow out of it or find something better when I go to college. But I’m completely serious. Nothing gives me the joy I get when I perform, nothing fulfills me, nothing else holds the same appeal. For the first time in my life I know exactly what I want to do. Nothing was more agonizing for me than to try and fill out those career things in school and finding out that I couldn’t. It left me despairing, wondering if I was ever going to be satisfied in something. I never have to feel that again because I know my passion will always be there to steer me on the right path. I believe in passion because it has opened up the doors to my future and showed me a happiness I could never have dreamed of finding elsewhere.