Tayler - California

Success Stops When You Do

By Tayler Johnson

My sister, Ashley, had just come home at 11:00 A.M. after partying all night and my parents had had enough of her immature ways. It was at this time when my sister and I had a conversation that would probably stick with me for the rest of my life.

My sister and I get along, sometimes. She’s 19 and has lived at home all of those 19 years. It was in this one particular conversation when I realized that I am the one who will decide my fate. Lately she had been getting into some bad things and I told her that she had to stop all of this and start setting a good example. She didn’t have to live her life like this but her faults cause her to lose faith. The next thing she said got me thinking for days about me and my future. She replied, “You watch Tayler. When your older you’re going to make a huge mistake that will change everything.”

At this very moment I refused to believe that I was destined for failure. When your younger your parents always tell you that you can do anything if you believe in yourself. Well does the same go for me? Yes, it does! I believe that my life will be filled with greatness and achievements, and of course there will be tragedies but they will not faze me. I want to travel the world, be fluent in French, or even cure a disease! All I know is, my dreams can be reached if I believe in myself. Yes, I might make a few mistakes along the way, but I will still aim for my goals.

I wish my sister and I had had this conversation before she made her life altering mistakes because I would have told her that she always has a choice, and even though it seemed as if everything was going downhill, she still could have made the right decisions. I know I’m not perfect, but that doesn’t mean I can’t strive for it. I expect to live my life to the fullest and will accept nothing less. I will always tell myself that I am meant for significance, not for doom. For I believe in myself; I believe in me.