Michael - Westminster, Colorado

I believe that the average lifestyle of teens has deteriorated from what it used to be. As one of them I dwell in what I heard from my parents about “the good old days”. I heard about kids helping old ladies across streets, I heard about the times when a student viewed a teacher with awe and wonder, I heard about the times when a swear word was unacceptable, when purpose and motivation is what drove kids to incredible moral and soaring achievement. When kids dressed nice for school, and came for the lure of a promising future. I hear about these times and walk down the halls of my school and I wonder what would it have been like to live in that world?

I am rudely awakened to the present, kids shove past my in effort to get the best viewing window for the fight going on in the courtyard. These teens get excited from bloodshed and disappointed when the fight is broken up. They get excited when they do drugs, get drunk at parties, and put down their peers for feeble small-minded reasons. I hear loosing your virginity is the cool thing now, that we take something as pure as creating another life, the survival of our race and the history from which we are from and pollute its purpose. The conversations that go on in the halls are about all the things that bring us down, all the hatred and fake appearances that every uses as a curtain to hide who they are. It’s all so suffocating and it’s everywhere and it gets to us. We wonder why there are teen suicides, police all over the schools, fights everyday and depression at every turn. This is our world, outside of society and know to only us. But this pit we surround ourselves with is of our own making.

What is it to be real? What is it to live life with solutions instead of problems? What is it to really live? Those are questions that most of us can’t answer. I believe that we are all searching for purpose through means that don’t satisfy but addict. So think about it, who are you? “I cannot teach you violence, as I do not myself believe in it. I can only teach you not to bow your heads before any one even at the cost of your life (Mahatma Gandhi).”