Taylor - Yarmouth, Massachusetts

Whether it’s Coco-Puffs or Cheerios or U Mass Amherst or Salem State, everyone has to make decisions. I believe that as human beings on of our natural conditions is our difficulty of making up our minds.

Recently I’ve been involved in a dilemma, a dilemma that involves my future. What do I want to be? Where do I want to go? Who do I want to take with me? Do I even want to go? These questions and others buzz around in my head everyday and I’m still no closer to the answers. My parents think I’m crazy, some of my teachers think I’m a procrastinator. Maybe their right. Maybe their wrong.

Making decisions has never been one of my virtues. Making up my mind is a skill I’ve never had. I’ve always liked to keep my options open, try not to make something too permanent. I’m not alone though. My mother almost caused a car crash when she couldn’t decide which road she wanted to take. My stepmother has trouble sometimes figuring out what’s for dinner. My younger sister is having trouble deciding whether or not she wants to play lacrosse. My aunt has been debating whether or not she wants to quit her second job to be home more or keep it and eventually save up to buy her own home.

Everyday you have to decide whether or not you’re going to go to school or work that morning. You have to decide when and what you want to eat for your meals. Sometimes these choices are not easy to make. I believe that making up your mind is a privilege and not a choice.