Grace - Monkton, Maryland
Themes: setbacks

I believe that, a lot of good can come from a lot of adversity. How do I know this? Picture a little girl with short, frizzy, brown hair, freckles, and blue eyes. She is a very opinionated, funny, and sometimes brusque, little girl. A hero for the underdog and lover of all that is artistic. Never owned a Barbie, Polly Pocket, or a pink item of clothing in her life. Her everyday clothing consisted of her grade-school uniform (a green, plaid, jumper with a white Peter Pan collared shirt underneath) and sweat pants and sweat shirts… (and even till this day she still has her special University of Maryland sweat shirt that she takes almost everywhere with her). So she was not by any means a typical little girl… that girl was me.

I attended Saint James Academy day school for nine years (kindergarten through eight grade), and it wasn’t surprising that I was not the most popular kid. I didn’t have long blonde hair in a pink ribbon. I never rode horses or painted my nails. I was always kind to that one kid who was a little different. My whole life began to change when I entered the second grade. Second grade is when school starts to get hard. We started cursive, and we had a new vocabulary list every week. We read hard stories with numerous questions to answer when we were done. But most of all we were learning to spell very complicated words. And for some reason it just became very difficult for me. I was often discouraged and frustrated with myself and my inability to do such things that came so simply to my classmates. My troubles soon became apparent to my teachers when sometimes in class I would just give up and say it was way too hard. My teacher told my parents, and it was decided that I was going to be tested and receive tutoring in reading and spelling. The testing showed I was very smart, but I still didn’t like the fact that I was different and needed to be tutored.

Looking back, I feel so thankful I had such wonderful teachers and parents who wanted to help me with my different learning style. So that determined little eight-year-old got her act together and accepted the fact that she was different, and there was nothing wrong with that And if I could go back, I would do it all over again… all that adversity made way for much good in my life. It taught me who I am. It showed me to be different and try new things. My hardships showed me a more creative side of me also. It got me into acting. Acting is my passion and it brings so much happiness into my life. I can’t imagine my life without it.

So I find myself eight years later at Carver Center for Arts and Technology studying acting. I am in my first Gifted and Talented class which, surprisingly, is English And who cares if I still can’t tell the difference between the two “witches” or the three “theres”? And why does it matter that after I write an essay like this one, my computer screen is filled with those little squiggly red lines under the misspelled words? Like the spell-check, I can always improve myself, but I cant change the past or who I am… and why would I want to? A lot of good can come from a lot of adversity!