Julia - Gowanda, New York

My Dream for All Children

I believe that every child should have the opportunity for an education. I believe that every child has the aptitude to succeed. I believe that now is the time to show the world what education can do for a nation.

I was privileged growing up. I was blessed with the opportunity to receive an education, and a fine one at that. My mom home schooled me for most of my school years, teaching me everything from the ABCs to essay structure. She was always there to push me on and she never gave up on me, even when I may have given up on myself. She taught me the principles of hard work, studying, and perseverance in school. She made learning something I looked forward to, an enjoyable experience. A few examples of this can be clearly seen in the “rap” we had for learning the alphabet and the memorization technique of singing the fifty states. These special touches she added to my education made learning pleasurable, rather than dreaded.

Now that I have graduated from high school, I am starting a new stage in life: college. As intimidating as it is sometimes, I press on, just as I was taught. My parents told me to strive for my goals, and right now my goals are to graduate and become an elementary teacher who will change her students’ lives for the better. I want to spur the next generation on to success by laying a strong educational foundation. I want to make learning exciting for my students, just like my mom did for me. I want to be able to teach those who have never had the chance to receive a proper education.

I am not alone in my dream of all children having the chance to go to school and learn. Two prominent figures in today’s society who strongly support education are Bill and Melinda Gates. Through their charity they have graciously given millions of dollars in scholarships and aid for underprivileged students. Instead of hoarding their wealth, they are making countless dreams come true and are paving the way for many to go to school. The best part of their foundation is that they do not limit their giving only to the United States. Rather, they give to the whole world, supporting and promoting education internationally.

Nelson Mandela once said that “education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” I believe this statement to be one hundred percent true. When a country is educated, its citizens can accomplish almost anything.

I believe that children are the leaders of tomorrow and that we should prepare them the best we can. I believe we need to set a high standard of education for every generation that comes after us. I believe that education is a tool that changes lives, futures, and nations.